Masters Degree in Biology Online will teach you how the biology process operates and the tools and materials used by biologists during practice.
Systems Biology (an extension of Biochemistry and Physiology) seeks to understand and model organisms on the basis of the molecules that make them up, and to integrate established disciplines in the Biosciences and to redesign them for the needs of the future.
About the Masters Degree in Biology Online
The complete sequence of the human and other genomes resulted in a drastic change in the way of thinking in Biosciences. Investigations on the molecular basis of major human diseases, such as cancer, atherosclerosis, type 2 diabetes and Alzheimer’s are now addressed on whole genome, transcriptome, proteome and metabolome level.
The masters of biology online combines theoretical and practical education: at least 1,450 hours of practical work in computer labs and wet labs within the University’s Life Sciences Research Unit or in partner institutions (CRP-Santé, the CRP-Gabriel Lippmann, and the IGBMC in Strasbourg). At the end of the msc biology courses programme, students will be able:
- to think on “omics” levels (genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics and physiomics);
- to understand and apply the respective new technologies.
- PhD programmes (at the University of Luxembourg and abroad)
- Positions in biotech and pharma industry
Partnership with Seattle
Since November 2008 the Institute for Systems Biology (ISB) in Seattle (www.systemsbiology.org) is a strategic partner of the University offering the course in Luxembourg in a 5-years project of the Luxembourgish government (The Luxembourg Health Sciences and Technologies Plan). The government aims to develop a centre of expertise in the area of systems biology and molecular medicine: the “Luxembourg Centre for Systems Biomedicine” (LCSB).
Both the ISB and the LCSB will provide excellent practical and theoretical training options for the Master students who will have the possibility to perform high quality MSc thesis projects and continue then world-class research projects as PhD students.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (at least 180 ECTS) in biosciences (biology, biochemistry etc.) or in bioinformatics (documented by copies of diploma papers). Students with a Bachelor’s degree from related disciplines, such as computer sciences, chemistry, physics or mathematics may be accepted, if a sufficient knowledge in modern biosciences can be documented.
- Good knowledge of English (documented via the motivation letter or any other official test of English).
- To be eligible for the CanSys programme, candidates must be nationals of a EU member state or have lived in the EU for a period of at least 3 years for a purpose other than studying.
- The applications are sent via the SEVE to the study director (Prof. Thomas Sauter), who makes a first screening for the above mentioned criteria.
- Applications that passed the pre-screening will be evaluated by the study director together with 1-2 other members of the MISB teacher’s team for the following criteria:
- Motivation letter: besides the use of good English (see above), the applicant should demonstrate that he/she understands for what type of specialized studies he/she applies (for example by mentioning that the studies will necessitate skills in mathematics and computer sciences and not only classical biology).Students who would like to apply for the CanSys programme, should indicate this clearly in their motivation letter.
- General scientific background: the applicant should have passed courses in fundamental science disciplines, such as mathematics, physics, chemistry and biochemistry, with an acceptable grade (12/20 or more).
- Courses in modern biosciences: the applicant should demonstrate knowledge in modern biosciences by documenting passed courses in molecular biology, bioinformatics, (human) genetics or similar topics.
- CV: The CV of the applicant should demonstrate a continuous focus on scientific studies, if not otherwise explained in the motivation letter.
The above mentioned criteria are balanced against each other, failure in one is not automatically leading to a rejection of the application.
3. The study director informs the SEVE about acceptance or rejection of the application.
Universities Offering The Masters in Biology Online Programs Courses
This master in biology online course is offered by one of the best universities in Luxembourg, Login below to gain complete information about the university offering the course and how to enroll for the course